I seem to see a lot of “parenting methods” thrown about at the moment, one of those terms being “gentle parenting” which can also be known as “attachment parenting”. I wouldn’t like to name the way I parent, as I haven’t aimed to follow a certain style of parenting but I would say the way myself and Luke parent has seemed to fall into the gentle/attachment parenting.
Parenting expert Sarah Ockwell-Smith classifies gentle parenting using three words; Understanding, Empathy and Respect. She also states that gentle parenting differs from AP (attachment parenting) as AP follows a strict set of principles as its guidance. I will link to an excellent blog post she wrote a couple of years back with a very informative table on it!
The gentle parenting website states six steps to becoming a gentle parent, these are;
- Resolve to respect your children.
- Resolve to empathise with your children.
- Allow your children to have their own opinion and make their own choices.
- Reset your expectations to what is age appropriate and normal.
- Take time to nurture yourself.
- Give them your attention.
This is just a short informative post for those of you that may wonder what I mean when I refer to gentle parenting in my blog posts!
Here are the links I previously mentioned!
Thank you for reading!